Thursday, October 8, 2009

Temptation

So, the shopping habit is hard to break. Now, don't get me wrong. I really hate going to the grocery store, and I also hate running errands, but when you run out of something that seems essential, it is so tempting to make a run "just for this one thing." My problem is that one thing inevitably turns into many, so I worked through my need to go through the store.

Don was the first to discover our deficiency.

"Do you know where there's any more deodorant?"
"Did you look in the basement?" I asked.
"Yep, on the top shelf next to the shampoo and soap and stuff. None there."
"Well, does Bren have any?" Did I really ask him to use our 13 year-old son's stash?
"Uh, he has a microscopic amount, but I think I risk abrasions from the plastic if I use it."
"Maybe we could just use baking soda or something." I suggest with a smirk. He didn't think that was as funny as I did. He decided to take matters into his own hands and decided a run to the drug store was in order.

One thing you need to know is that Don is legally blind. He hasn't driven a car in over five years, and while he can see just fine what he's looking straight at, he has no peripheral vision so the DMV took his licence away. This fact does not deter him. He has to be the most mobile man without a licence I've ever seen. He runs dozens of miles a week and rides his bike as well. So today, when he discovered our lacking essential toiletry item, he hopped on his bike, rode the 7 miles into town, picked up several sticks of under-arm refresher, along with a diet coke (also essential, of course) and then headed for home. This errand took him about an hour and he was happy for the chance to get out and about on his own.

So, there you have it. Our first official cheat. Deodorant. Acquired by a blind man on a bike.
I don't fault him. I mean, he is an athlete after all, and antiperspirant is important when you do a 5k as a warm up for your next day's run. Still, I despaired the purchase. I can't believe that with all the tooth brushes, tooth paste, shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, soap and other personal care products we had no deodorant.

What would you have done? I need to find a more viable alternative to baking soda, in case this happens again and Don's not up for a 14 mile bike ride.

3 comments:

  1. I've got some Lady Speed Stick with his name on it right here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deodorant is one of the things I stocked up on. I got tired of Dave telling me he was out of deodorant the day after I went to the store. No lying. Every time.

    Did Don pick up enough for all of you for the rest of the year? If not, I suppose you could barter for it next time. I'm sure Heidi wouldn't mind trading her Lady Speed Stick for a good ol' Fralick meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, Don thought your offer was very generous, especially because he just realized I wasn't really joking about the baking soda bit. But, he did get enough for the rest of the year. However, if we should run out again due to unforeseen perspiration problems, I love Adhis’s idea of bartering. I honestly hadn’t thought of that at this stage in the game. Fabulous suggestion!

    ReplyDelete